The Heart of Dixie Shiba Fanciers, Inc. (HODSF) was started in 2010 for the purpose of encouraging and promoting quality for responsible breeding of the Shiba Inu, protecting and advancing interests of the breed through responsible and fair conduct during conformation shows, companion and performance sports (i.e. obedience, rally, agility, coursing, barn hunt, scent trials, etc.) events, and to educate the public about the breed.
Public education, by the Club, is completed through a variety of methods, such as “Meet the Breed” seminars held at conformation shows, and county fairs.
Some of the main topics addressed through education are;
- Shiba Inu rank one of the top ten healthiest dog breeds overall.
- Shiba Inu are very clean and neat.
- Shiba Inu are one of the smartest and most intelligent breeds.
- Shiba Inu make great indoor pets, but they need their exercise.
- Shiba Inu have a double coat and shed twice a year
- While a fenced back yard is best for a Shiba Inu, walking (often) on a leash can take the place of a fence.
- Shiba Inu are generally quiet and do not bark incessantly, only to alert their owner something is amiss.
Anyone having questions about the Shiba Inu breed, or interest in joining the Club, please contact a member listed on the “Officers & Members” tab on the HODSF website. Any member can assist you or direct you to someone who can answer your questions.
While the Club’s geographic region includes; Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee, HODSF membership is open to anyone, from any state, who has an interest to uphold the values and standards of the Shiba Inu breed. For 2021, HODSF membership spans across nine states and is currently at 26 members.